I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Long Distance Running Nutrition and recovery Tips for Optimal Performance

Training to run 10km+ is completely different than 5kms and Fueling your body properly becomes essential.

Every runner knows that to be able to run efficiently and recover properly you need to be consuming a diet rich in vitamins minerals. Your body is a machine and to function at its peak it needs to be filled with the right stuff. To recover properly the same rules apply.

So what are some things you can do to help your body?

1) Start your workout hydrated. Your body needs water to perform its functions and to recover. Keep yourself hydrated at all time with water.
Tip: Stop drinking water 2 hrs before a run. Running while needing to pee is not fun. I also like to start my day with 'Emergen C'.

2) Sweat means salt lost. Replacing your electrolytes becomes important. ESPECIALLY if you sweat alot.
Tip: lick your skin. If you taste salty you are losing salt (obviously). In the heat this is what causes heat exhaustion. You can buy electrolyte replacements to add to your water. Be careful of commercial Gatorade as it is not marketed to athletes and contains glucose-fructose.

3) Fuel your body the night before with glycogen. 'fill your muscles' with it.

4) Post workout within 20minutes you need some sugar/starch/protein type of things. Here you can choose to eat what you like. This is what I do...

When I first arrive home I take L-Glutamine and some water. Then within 20mins I consume something. Chocolate milk, banana,bagel with cream cheese. O.K I'll admit that today I ate a bunch of chips ;) But for supper I'm refueling with an amazing spaghetti dinner. So there.

5) Some vitamins/minerals that are SUPER important.... B's ( I take a complex B in the AM), IRON, antioxidants and Calcium. I'm sure there are others but that is what I can think off the top of my head.
Tip: Exercise is a good stress but a stress nonetheless on your body. It needs to recover. It needs to heal. Take care of it.

6) SLEEP and rest. You NEED at least 8hrs of sleep to properly recover and you NEED to take a day or two off. If you DON'T, your NEXT WORKOUT WILL SUCK. There you have it. Listen to your body. Mine likes 2 days between runs especially at this level.

Hmmmm that is all I can think of for now...Happy running.

No comments: