I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shaky Advice

I've kicked my coffee habit. I wake up every morning and make myself some water and lemon or add green tea.

The lemon helps to stimulate the digestive system in the morning. I'm waking it up telling it that it is time to eat and burn energy!

I need to eat for energy. I also need vitamins,minerals and antioxidants. I need all of these things to function at a higher level than I have been. This is also going to help my moods and my sleeping patterns. So on top of my pretty o.k diet I've been stuffing as much good for me things into my diet as possible lately.

This mornings wake up shake was this.....

One whole pear,frozen blueberries,filtered water,ginger root,lemon,avocado and a splash of Vit D/fish oil supplement. This tastes like crap but that is why I hid it in the shake ;)

Yummy!!! Even my kids drank some and LOVED IT!!!

I needed a change from my usual chunky Greens shake and I am glad I did.

The usual ingredients I play with are

apples/pears
blueberries/strawberries
avocado
spinach
parsley
romaine lettuce/arugula
celery
lemon/ginger
coconut milk/almond milk/rice milk
almonds
chia seeds/flax seeds
bananas
almond butter/organic natural peanut butter
organic cocoa powder
Agave nectar

This way I can have a berry type shake, cocoa type shake, tropical, greens type depending on my mood. This is also a GREAT WAY TO GET MY KIDS TO EAT stuff they normally won't touch.


So go ahead and experiment!!
My friend Kirsten over at Healthy Body/Healthy Mind has done a great little post on tips to get you started in the shake department as well. check her out. We all do things a little different and the more ideas the better !!!!

2 comments:

anita said...

I too have kicked the coffee. I was drinking my own mix of smoothie in the morning, tall glass, big straw and 'Arthur' on tv. I used spinach every morning so this week, mid week I tried to change the flavor and I added kale. Bleghh! It was so gross it turned me off drinking smoothies for two days, but I'm back. Also who knew they made so many caffeine free teas? Good for you Alyson! You are an amazing mom. I love reading your various blogs.

Alyson said...

good for you!!! and thanks.