I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Running as a Metaphor for my Life

I managed an entire week with 3 runs. One week down and 2 to go and I get to start my training program to run my first Half Marathon in May.

I'm taking it one run at a time as I build up my endurance. I need to go really slow if I'm going to increase my mileage. I have ALWAYS done things at full speed. That is why I like the 5k races. As I was enjoying a slow and steady run yesterday, forcing myself to slow down I realized that training for this half just may be a metaphor for my life....

Always at full speed. Reckless by nature. Concerned mostly about the here and now and not about the long term not really caring about the consequences of my actions.

But training for a Marathon IS about the goal. It IS about the finish line. Just as my Christian walk NEEDS to be about the finish line and the eternal and not about the here and NOW. Oddly enough, thinking about the FUTURE goal ALSO makes the JOURNEY that much BETTER. My journey is now steadier and more enjoyable. There are less bumps and bruises along the road. I believe that training for the half will be just like that. Slow and steady wins the race.

I believe that doing things this way will teach me more. It will teach me about commitment. About longevity. About determination and strength. About wisdom.

I am looking forward to the next 6 months of training just as I have enjoyed the last 10 years of knowing Christ. My life is better and what better way to celebrate it than with a physical challenge.

No comments: