I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Diets and Breastfeeding

Day 3 of tracking my food on LiveStrong.com is going well. I really did not eat a lot today, I was hungry, AND I went over my calorie count!! The calorie count is the amount of calories it recommends me eating based on my activity level and how much I want to lose (mine is a pound a week).

Then I REMEMBERED that I'm breastfeeding. SO...What that means is my body is burning an EXTRA 500-800 Calories a DAY, 150 of that being from body fat put on during pregnancy.

So I ADDED 500 Calories that I'm allowed to eat on my Daily Counter. This has made a HUGE difference because I was STARVING today!! I'm not looking to lose 3 pounds a week here which I would have been on my way to doing. If I do that I would risk not eating ENOUGH and not PRODUCING ENOUGH MILK FOR AUDREY.....NOT GOOD.

Also...I need to make sure my extra calories are in the form of protein/dairy. Cottage Cheese at the end of the day will be my choice I think. Creamy, low in fat and full of both dairy and protein.

No more starving me, and hopefully STILL a smaller me by 1 pound next Monday ;) phew!!

Oh...and I'm also trying to eat yogurt 3 times a day as well..As long as my Total Calories are within the limit I can eat anything I want really. We will see about that.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

good advice K except I normally eat quite well and I don't do well restricting foods. Not a good things for me. I DO however pick all the time and so this is forcing me to take a good look at what I am actually eating and how much.
I could have stated that in my plan. I am not on a 'diet'...just trying to eat within where I should. I also am eating well...just having not talked about that yet.