I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ready for the Next Phase

I've been exercising for 8 weeks now. I started six weeks after the birth of our third child May 13th. Although I am an avid runner I started with a Beginner's program. Click Here to view.

The Program worked well. I started developing knee problems so I added biking on the days I was not running. This helped develop my leg muscles and strengthen my knee and now I don't have any problems. I also slowed myself right down on my runs so I did not push myself too hard.

I can now run for 25-30 minutes without stopping. My body is ready to begin the next phase of training.

The Intermediate Running Program will include biking and some very necessary yoga stretching for my really....really tight hamstrings. Flexibility is an important part to fitness. This is an area I am quite weak.

I've lost most of my weight. ( I have 5 pounds to go). My goal is not really weight loss because I know the weight will simply come off when I increase my exercise. I am also still breast feeding so I need to be consuming enough calories. I will just keep trying to eat well. The focus will be having enough protein in my diet to keep up my energy levels.

REMEMBER TO GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. Sometimes taking time off will actually help you lose more weight. You can't keep increasing and increasing....you will plateau and get frustrated. I took two weeks off (I was sick), and I feel just fine. My body is rested and recovered.

Also....at this point, re-establish goals. Short term and long term. Look at your schedule. School is coming...does that change things?? For me, my husband is going away for three months of training which means I will need to actually schedule my workouts.

I have a goal of 10km Terry Fox run in mid september. My goal is to just get through it. In the spring I will try a 10km to race it....or maybe a 23km. I'm not sure yet.

So here we go....my next entry will be my Program.

No comments: