I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Sneaky Skin and Bowel Foods ;)

My oldest girl is GREAT at trying whatever healthy and weird concoction I make for her. My middle girl is O.K but refuses to eat anything 'tomato-like', Avocado-y, or chunky meat. The baby will eat anything but potatoes, and the boy...well lets just say we are lucky for him to even come to the table without yelling obscenities at the site of his dinner plate.

So how do I get my kids to eat the foods that are healthy and amazing for them without them turning their noses up and/or only taking one bite?? How to I make sure my food rejecting son gets SOME protein, and green veggies??

How do I get them to eat stuff like Avocado's, Spinach, and sweet pea shoots?

I blend it up with Lemon, Ginger, Banana, Organic Pears, and Apples. I sometimes also mix in some yogurt, and Berries. I top it off with cold water or a splash of Organic juice for extra Vit C and flavor.

Voila!! Drink up babies!!

Here is a list of ingredients I put in my smoothies. Not all at the same time of course. I mix and match creating different flavours. Most ingredients are Organic and/or local products....

I usually eat these in the morning, and post workout.

    Frozen Berries, or fresh picked
    Banana
    Avocado
    Celery
    Pears
    Apples
Lemon..fresh squeezed
Lime. fresh
Ginger
Yogurt
Vanilla
Spinach, lettuce or other greens. Jam them in there.
Shoots of any sort...like broccoli, sweat pea ect..
Kiwi
Peanut Butter/Almond Butter
Chia, Flax Seeds
Raw Unsalted Nuts (macadamia,almonds,Walnuts)
Honey, Agave Nectar
Pure Cocoa
Cinnamon
Coconut milk in a Can (love the chunky stuff)
Pumpkin in a Can (organic is so so good)
Almond, Rice, Coconut, or Raw MILK
Water
splash of juice ( I'm not a juice advocate..so use a tiny bit or non at all)

That's all I can think of off hand..I'll add more to the list if I think of some later. Have fun with it. Mix and match and try different things. The point is to jam as much vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, fiber, protein and good calories as you can. Your skin and your bowels will thank you ;)

2 comments:

alltheprettythings said...

I don't know what we would do without smoothies...at least it makes me feel better that they are getting something good....when downright refusal is often the case!!!

Mrs White said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I absolutely love smoothies but didn't have a clue what to add in them to make them tasty. I will definitely try some of the items you suggested.

Mrs White
http://bringingfurmanhome.blogspot.com