I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Healthy does not have to be Hard

It is no secret that I don't enjoy cooking. I love healthy good for me food, but I do not enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Not only that, I'm cheap. The healthier, easier and cheaper the better. Healthy food does not have to take time or money. It just takes a little knowledge.

You really cannot get any easier, cheaper or healthier than this....

Homemade chicken broth. Packed full of Goodness...

I put chicken broth in EVERYTHING. Well not really, but I do use it to make soup (obviously), potatoes,noodles and rice. You could also thaw it to stir fry vegetables and really anytime you need to add a little liquid. Not muffins though. That would just be gross.  It is FULL of nutrients and all that honest to goodness good for you flu bug killer stuff.

It is EXTREMELY SIMPLE to make.  I thought I would share my secret recipe.






After roasting chicken (bone in skin on), I place all the bones in a pot. I add carrots, celery, dash of salt, broccoli stems ( I cut them and place them in a freezer bag to save for this purpose), garlic and chunks of onion.

Add Cold water and let sit for 20 minutes or so. ( I do all this as I'm cleaning up from our roast chicken supper).

Turn the stove onto medium high. As soon as it begins to bubble I turn it to low and let it simmer FOR HOURS. I put in on the lowest setting all night.

In the morning I strain it into another bowl and place in the fridge to cool.  After a few hours the fat will accumulate at the top. You can choose to skim it off but I leave it. The fat adds amazing flavor and overall it is not that much 'fat' in your dish. It also contains lots of good stuff.  Think about how much butter you add to mashed potatoes. This just saves you a step.

When cooled the broth should look like slightly underdone jello.  The jellyness of it is the marrow taken from the bones. This is the stuff  why 'Grandma's' chicken soup was the answer to the common cold.




I separate the broth and put it in used yogurt containers. I usually get 3 servings out of it.


That's it! It is really that simple.

No comments: