I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hydration Tips for Runners

I'm entering a phase I have never been in before. I am now running over an hour during my long runs. There are two things I have NEVER done before. 1) Run with water and 2) used electrolyte stuff.

I've done a little research an this is what I found:

First that it is importand to have good glycogen stores so pasta suppers are going to become the norm around here.

Second, I must start off hydrated. No more wine the night before and I must drink more water. I don't think I have been drinking enough water lately. Coffee is fine in the morning but I should consume at least 3 hours prior to running.

Third, I should consume water no later than 2 hours prior to running so I'm not making a bunch of trips to the bathroom or finding myself peeing on the side of the road.

Another great Tip: Drinking colder fluids has proven to help enduance so I will try filling my water bottle with water/Gatorade (or similar) half way, freeze it and then fill the rest of the way before the run.

My midrun fluid needs depend on how long I'm running :

ONE HOUR OR LESS
Three to six ounces every 15 to 20 minutes. Water is usually fine. For a tough run over 30 minutes, consider a sports drink to give you a kick of energy at the end.

ONE TO FOUR HOURS
Three to six ounces every 15 to 20 minutes. A sports drink with carbs and electrolytes will replenish sodium. Prefer gels? Chase them with water to avoid sugar overload.

POSTRUN
Replace fluids, drinking enough so you have to use the bathroom within 60 to 90 minutes postrun. Usually eight to 24 ounces is fine, but it varies based on running conditions.


Here we Go!!!

No comments: