I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Post Run Snacks

I managed to head out the door today for my longest run to date (In 2008).
I ran nice and slow, and took two 1 minute walking breaks. I managed to run 10km and I feel pretty good. Just a little stiff. It took me under an hour which is nice, especially since I was hardly breathing.

An important part to training is ALWAYS replenishing your body. Even if you are trying to lose weight it is very important to replenish those glycogen (energy) stores and help restore your muscles with some protein.
If you are trying to lose weight...just so you know, that you will not store this food as fat. It will go to help you have even more energy for later on. The last thing you want is to burn out.

My post run meals are always water water water, and within an hour after running I make sure I have something to restore my carbs and protein. My glycogen stores have been depleted so we are opting for pasta tonight with some yummy meat sauce. Delish.

Sometimes a good shake with banana,yogurt,berries and soy milk will do as well. If I'm in a hurry, cottage cheese or whole grain crackers with peanut butter is always a good replenisher.

Or a Whole Wheat bagel with some peanut butter or cream cheese. yummy.

No comments: