I manage a country homestead and the lives of my 4 babies ages 10,8,5 and 3. I LOVE TO RUN and NEED to keep healthy and fit for my SANITY!! Seriously....All problems are solved when I am running.

Making MY health a priority allows me to be the mother and wife that I need to be for them.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Head Games

For those of you who think that running comes easy to me and that I just glide along like a beautiful Gazzelle on my 30min stress relief runs here is a little reality check for y'a.

Like I've said before...If I can do this...so can you :)

This is the conversation I had with myself for 30mins....enjoy

"It's raining...I don't wanna go for a run, but out the door I go. Why oh why did I book grandma to come over?"
"O.K I'll just go for 15mins...maybe 10mins out and turn around"
"Hmmmm...this is boring. I really don't want to do this. I'm tired."
" o.K I don't have my mp3 player so I'll make it interesting and run for 1min hard and slow for the next min. and alternate(part of the intermediate running program)."
"This isn't so bad but now I'm sweating....I don't wanna keep going"
"I can do anything for 1minute!! just keep going!!"
" Hmmm if I run too fast I'll have furthur to go once I turn around. Maybe I'll slow down a bit so I don't go too far."
" O.K now I'm feeling the rhythm a little but I don't want to do these intervals...I don't feel like breathing hard"
" I'll just run at a good pace for 15 minutes"
" Oh man..It's only been 7 minutes? hrmph"
" I'll stop looking at my watch and run to the school house..then I'll turn around"
" School house already? I only have 3 minutes left till 15 minutes...I might as well keep going till then."

" 15 already? that wasn't so bad. I guess it is time to turn around"
" I feel pretty good....I'm in a rhythm...only minutes to go before the uphill"
" what am I going to make for supper?"
" uphill already? o.k no problem..here i go...quick feet..quick feet"
" Only half way? really? I'm starting to hurt. I can't stop now or the hill will just take longer"
" wew up that hill! wow this flat surface feels great. I'm cruising now! "
" Hmmm....what should I make for supper"
" How much farther? I'm starting to get tired...do I really have to keep running? o.k I'll focus on the white barn ahead"
" made it. wait a minute...where is that cross road? is it really that far?"
" cars are coming...check the stride, relax the shoulders"
" Oh wow I've increased my pace alot...can I hold it?"
" There is the finish! only 3 minutes to go...I can see it"
" focus...focus...this feels amazing. I am amazing...I can do this. I feel alive!"
" Hey I am a little ahead of time...If I keep this pace I will come in under 30mins making the second half faster!"
" keep going...keep going... this feels great! I am a machine!!
"I can do anything for 1minute!!!"
" There is the mailbox! 30 seconds!! Go ! Go! Push ! Push!!"
Done !!! 29:46 Yay for me! under time.

I feel great. I feel alive. I can do anything!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I am always inspired when I read your blog. I enjoy pilates and strength training, but I would love to become a runner. I got a little taste of it this summer when I started to walk my dog a few times in the morning because she actually walks me. I totally understand the head games and it's just making yourself do it is the hard part sometimes, and then you are glad and get into it. I go through these up and down times. With running, I have always been worried about people watching me and thinking I look stupid...isn't that silly. Keep it up! You look great and I am sure you feel great too.